There have been times recently where I feel that I am stuck between an rock and a hard place. I want to be so supportive of my husband through his medical school journey, BUT yet, I also want to steer him away from certain specialties. For example, my husband is currently doing his Ob/Gyn rotation. There are days that he comes home sooooo excited about the different things that he got to do that day. And, I get so excited for him! I'm so happy that he is enjoying what he is doing and I love to see his passion for the field of medicine shine through. And, I am glad to see that he is actually enjoying Ob/Gyn. From the very beginning, he has stated that he would never go into this specialty! I mean, he has made it VERY clear about the NEVER part! And, now that he is doing it, he is actually enjoying himself!! I love to see that!
On the other hand, I personally do not like the hours on this rotation AT ALL!! I HATE that I rarely see him. I HATE that he is gone for 12+ hours a day. I HATE that when he is on call, which is at least once a week, I don't see him for more than 24 hours at a time. So, in the end, it makes me want to persuade him to not go into this field. I mean, I kind of enjoying spending time with my husband! :)
So, there's the dilemma!! I want to encourage him to do what he finds the most fascinating, the area in which he can see himself working for many years to come, and that he is going to still enjoy and be fascinated with for those many years. HOWEVER, there is a reason that I married him . . . I love him and I love spending time with him. If it is a specialty that I will rarely see him, what is going to happen? I know that this is very selfish. I try not to be, but he's my husband for goodness sake! Don't I have the right to be just a little bit?
I know that my hubby is a family man! He does not want the long hours at the hospital. He wants to be able to see his family on a regular basis. Family is our priority. BUT then again, I can turn his favorite line around to include him instead of me . . . if the husband ain't happy, the family ain't happy! SO, I'M STUCK!!
I know that I'm probably jumping the gun here . . . it is only the second rotation! BUT, we do have to start deciding on the elective rotations that are going to be the most important in his residency interviews in just a few short months. This is a constant conversation in our household. My hubby is worrying about not finding the specialty that gives him the "AHA!" effect. I worry that that effect is going to come from Ob/Gyn or Surgery. What can we do!?! I guess we will just trudge through this leg of the journey, just as we have the others, and wait to see what life will bring us! Until then, I wait . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Don't stress to much about it now. EVERY rotation will bring about the same issues so just hang in there. I am totally with you on the being selfish thing though. I want my husband to be happy in whatever field he chooses BUT I am not willing to sacrifice our family for it. You need to be able to say that and not feel bad about it. This all effects you as well so don't be quiet about it. Speak up and let him know how you feel!!!
Thanks Jodie! You're awesome! My hubby definitely knows how I feel, but it is hard to still feel this way! Thanks for the reassurance! :)
When I was having the baby, my doctor was at the hospital all day long. She got there early for my c-section and was still there at 3:00 am for more deliveries. I decided at that time that I did not want Paul to go into that specialty, so I can understand how you feel about this!
It's no surprise that our husbands ar e such good friends. Paul said the same thing about OB and now his top picks are OB and Surgery too!! How do we change their minds???!!!
I want him to be happy, but I also know if he doesn't get his sleep and family time he won't be happy either.
It is... like you said, a rock and a hard place. I'm just so frustrated that they have to choose before they even experience all of the specialties.
Post a Comment