Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rotations #3: Rural Family Practice Part I

During the month of November, my hubby rotated with a rural family practice doc approximately 30 minutes from home. This rotation was such a nice change from the previous month of OB/GYN (and even this current month of Surgery)!! Due to the rural schedule and commute time required to get to the clinic, my husband actually ended up going in about 8-9 times the entire month. Because Tuesdays are education days, he was given those days off! Because the doc only worked mornings on Thursdays, he was given those days off (though he did go in one time to participate in a particular procedure)! That only left Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays . . . and actually, there were a few of those days that he got off as well! How crazy is that!?!

My husband was more calm and relaxed than I have seen him in a while! We got to spend much more time as a family, and even on one afternoon while my son was at school, my hubby and I went on a date to the movies! This spontaneous little date between the two of us was such a nice little change! Though there was a downside . . . due to the commute time and the nature of the rural clinic, there were many nights when my hubby would not get home until 6:30-7:00. I would always wait to serve dinner (or wait for him to make it!!) and my son would end up staying up later than usual to spend time with his daddy! Overall, from my perspective, it was a great month! :)

Though FP is still not what my husband wants to do, he was able to get a lot of great experience doing a variety of procedures. He enjoyed it so much that he is looking to rotate with this same doc next year!! I can't wait!! :)

As for my husband's side . . . I will have to post his thoughts on a later date. Unfortunately, he did not have a chance to write anything up before his Surgery rotation started and will not have another chance until this rotation is over with! I don't want to forget to post at least my response, so until next time . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Tif, I'm so glad you had an easier month than usual. That's fun he got all that time to spend with you!!

Abby said...

It's so great to get these little breaks here and there. Kind of makes the whole thing bearable. Hang in there! Call me when you're bored!

Lauren said...

It is so fun to hear about the rotations. :) hope you all enjoy the holiday!