Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rotation #3: Rural Family Practice Part II

I am finally getting around to posting some more info on our latest rotations! Here's my hubby's side of the rural family practice rotation:

I was pleasantly surprised by family medicine to say the least. I was working with a good doctor who let me “do” a lot of stuff. I did a lot of the expected stuff, histories and physicals, dealing with URI’s, medication checkups, bloodwork reviews, etc., but I also was able to do a number of things that made it worth my time being there. I was able to do injections into knees, helped with suturing and suture removal, skin tag removal and other dermatological procedures, assist with a vasectomy, among other tasks. I would have to see the patient, interview them, perform the physical exam, and then report to him with an assessment and plan. We would discuss the patient (which he knew well being as how he has lived his whole life in the area) and go from there. The doctor I was shadowing also did colonoscopies as well but there weren’t many scheduled when I was on the rotation so I wasn’t able to assist in those. Overall, I had a good time on the rotation. I felt that he made me think and at the same time made it worth my while to be there. He gave me many opportunities for “hands-on” work and it actually made me consider going into family medicine which is one field I was sure I would never go into.

For my viewpoint of this rotation, just click here.

No comments: