Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rotation #8: Radiology

I've only got a few words for you in regards to my opinion on this rotation . . . a VERY nice change!! My hubby was usually home early and it was not a stressful rotation at all! It was so good to see him in a relaxed mood . . . though it did not last long since Step 2 Boards snuck up on him!! :)

Here's what my hubby had to say . . .

This rotation was set up a little bit like anesthesia, as a two week rotation. There are ten areas of radiology that they like us to rotate through (CT, nuclear, mammography, etc.) over the two weeks and during this time we are to work with different radiologists. During my rotation I spent a lot of time with one radiologist in particular and then a smaller amount of time with several of the other radiologists. My day would start around 8:00 usually and end when I wanted it to-usually early afternoon or earlier depending on the workload. A number of the radiologists are happy to teach and a number are not. I (and my classmates) had to find who was willing to teach and then tag along with them. I spent a lot of time with the radiologist reading CT’s, doing CT guided biopsies, and doing PICC lines. I also spent some time with the ultrasound techs doing vascular studies. This was a good rotation in that I was able to see how the particular studies are done after they are ordered. It is easy to make the order for a particular test when you are on IM or surgery, but it really helps to see the process through on this rotation. Overall, I got out of this rotation what I had expected. I can’t say that it really helped me with my x-ray reading skills but it did help with my CT reading skills a small amount.

No comments: